Sunday, April 26, 2015

Code-G, the Gundam Cafe in Korea

I learned of the Gundam-themed cafe Code-G back in January when I attended the Kidult Expo in the Coex Convention Center. At that time Code-G had set up shop within the convention hall to sell drinks and snacks as well as to advertise it's main store in Yatap; since then I've been meaning pay a visit to Code-G, but it was only this weekend that I got a chance.

Code-G's location is discouragingly far from my home: Yatap is a small suburb orbiting around Seoul, and there's no easy way to get there from where I live, even if Yatap is technically closer to my town than Seoul. While I can take a direct express bus to reach Seoul, to get to Yatap I have to take a slower town bus and then transfer to the subway. Further complicating things is that even after I reach Yatap Station, Code-G is just barely within walking distance. Still, I had no plans this weekend, as my girl had gone on a trip with her college girlfriends, so I figured this would be my best chance to go.

When I arrived at Yatap I walked north for awhile, leaving behind the main transportation hub centered around the metro station and entering a sleepy neighborhood framed by empty-looking shops and monolithic apartment buildings. It was an obscure location to put a Gundam-themed cafe, to say the least. Eventually I spotted the massive Code-G logo adorning the side of a drab grey building; it took me another minute of scanning the floors of the building before I realized the cafe was actually underground.

Once inside, I knew the journey had been worth it. The cafe was decorated from roof to floor in Gundam paraphernalia, with countless custom-built Gunpla lining seemingly endless shelves. Young men sat on benches and in chairs, drinking milkshakes and eating cookies while working on Gunpla they had brought from home. A trio of mothers lounged like they were at any regular cafe, chatting and sipping tea while their children sat at their own table and worked on models. There were even a few couples, working together on Gundams while discussing whatever it is Korean couples into Gunpla talk about. Light music played in the background, perfect for a lazy weekend afternoon and totally conducive to spending a day working on a project. I was beginning to regret not having brought a Gunpla of my own to tinker with!

I ordered the chocolate milky banana smoothie and took a seat, admiring the decor while waiting for my drink. The cafe had shelves of Gundam-related reading, from novels and comics to manuals and how-to books, and near the front were even Gundam kits and modeling supplies for sale. After a short wait my order was brought to my table, accompanied by two little cookies. The smoothie was delicious: rich and sweet, with a whole banana placed inside to give it a banana flavor.

I finished my drink and toured around the cafe a bit, taking photos of some of the more interesting models. Truthfully I probably could have spent hours photographing Code-G's Gunpla, but I didn't want to be a nuisance to the other guests. When I felt like I had stayed long enough, I departed.

Code-G is definitely an awesome place, great for Gundam fans and even people who just want a chill cafe to relax in; I'd say it even rivals the Gundam Cafes in Tokyo. I'd love to be able to visit Code-G regularly, but sadly I don't see that happening due to it's location. However, if you're interested in going I highly recommend it. To reach Code-G, go to Yatap Station and head out exit 1; walk north for about three blocks (you'll have crossed a river), turn left, and look around until you see signs advertising Code-G.

Or, just follow the map provided on Code-G's website! Good luck.


















































































No comments:

Post a Comment