Friday, March 6, 2015

Gunpla: Cherudim, or however you spell it

It's already March and I've only finished two models this year, but here we go: this time, the Gunpla I present to you is the HG 1/144 Cherudim Gundam GNHW/R (quite the mouthful). I finished this Gunpla before my trip to America, but only recently had a chance to conduct a proper photo shoot. The Cherudim is the next piece in the Gundam 00 diorama I've been slowly working on, and since I want my Gundam 00 models to resemble their anime counterparts for the sake of the diorama I didn't make any outstanding modifications to my Cherudim. However, in order to make the building experience a little more interesting I did use Cherudim to test out some new paints and painting techniques. The most significant modification I made to Cherudim was subtly modifying a key portion of his original color scheme. Instead of having a Gunpla with a plasticky green apperance, I gave Cheridum a more muted two-tone color pattern, hand brushing over the model's green pieces with alternating dark and light green paints. I was skeptical of my choice at first, but upon seeing the final results I'm very satisfied. Other changes I made to Cherudim include adding a few gold and silver metallic details and sharpening and painting his pistols to better resemble hand axes.

The photoshoot itself also provided an opprotunity to try and develop my photography skills. For the first few photos, I placed Cherudim inside a homemade lightbox, with miniature lamps to the left and right of it. Although I still see noise in the pictures, I think that may just be the result of not having a strong enough light source. I'll have to experiment with that in the future. For the second set of photos, I placed Cherudim on a stand outside of the box and in front of a backdrop. I like the composition of my photos, but I'm not a fan of the way my backdrop reflects light. I should try to acquire a backdrop made of a less reflective material.

In the end, I'm pleased to have Cherudim up on my shelf. With each Gunpla I complete, I get a little more skillful, and Cheridum is a good sign of the progress I've made since last year.




















1 comment:

  1. DeWalt Titanium Drill bit set: Specially crafted precision tools
    The 2-piece mens titanium rings DEWALT makes a durable and comfortable cut of metal to suit the needs of the knife iron titanium or its dewalt titanium drill bit set blade, just like the ford fusion hybrid titanium DEWALT. titanium nitride coating Rating: 4.6 · ‎15 reviews · ‎$45.00 · ‎In stock

    ReplyDelete