Thursday, January 22, 2015

Kidult Expo, Part 2: Gunpla and Code-G

As I mentioned in my previous post, the papercraft exhibition was just one part of the Kidult Expo. Also on display were a plethora of models and crafts made by Korean hobbyists, with numerous franchises getting varying degrees of representation. Gundam carved out the biggest chunk of the showroom floor for itself, which again raises the question I had when walking through Paper Craft Boum: just where are all of these Korean Gundam fanatics coming from? I'd love to meet up with a few of them and talk shop.

The Gunpla got lots of attention from passers-by, as it should: they were all incredibly well done, with amazing attention to detail that I feel my photography skills don't do justice. These days I'm really feeling the limitations of my abilities, and I've decided that a goal of mine this year will be to brush up on the fundamentals of photography so that I can be sure to capture some amazing images in 2015. In the meantime, I did my best to get pics of some of the best looking models being shown.

After browsing through the display cases, it was time for a rest. Luckily Code-G was present, having set up shop in a corner of the expo hall to dish out refreshments to weary attendees. I had never even heard of Code-G before Kidult, but apparently it's a Gundam-themed cafe (!!!) located near Yatap Station in the city of Bundang, and it was here at the expo (in a smaller capacity) to promote its main store. Along with decor that's influenced by Gundam, the mini-cafe boasted an impressive number of customized Gunpla which I assume are the work of the cafe's owner. All of Code-G's Gunpla were fantastic, but my favorites were the Gundams customized with the colors of Korean baseball teams. Seeing a Gundam decked out like a player for the Doosan Bears, my favorite team here in Korea, was very cool. Only a small portion of the main cafe's Gunpla were showcased at the Kidult Expo, encouraging people who want to see the rest to visit Code-G in Yatap, which is absolutely now on my to-do list. Yatap is a good distance from my home, but I'll make a day of it soon and check it out.

If you're in Korea and interested in going to Code-G as well, or just generally curious, here's the link to their site!

I would be remiss in neglecting to mention Code-G's mascot, a man inside a cute boxy Gundam costume who paraded around the entrance of the cafe posing for photos and generally goofing off. I took a photo together with him and afterwards, to my immense surprise, he pulled me in close and whispered, "I'm American, too." I suddenly had so many questions for him, but before I could ask a single one he was already off, his attention occupied by a customer who had been poking at his backside. Whoever he is, he's a lucky man: I'd love to be a Gundam for a day.


















































































No comments:

Post a Comment