Sunday, March 8, 2015

Gunpla Builders Challenge 2015, Yongsan

Since the Gangnam Gundam Base was showcasing the entries in a Korean Gunpla building competition, I figured that the Yongsan Gundam Base would probably be doing the same. The Yongsan Gundam Base, located in the Yongsan iPark shopping mall next to Yongsan Station and the largest of Seoul's Gundam Bases, is north of the Han River that cuts through the center of Seoul; in other words, it's considerably farther from my home than the Gangnam Gundam Base. I definitely couldn't visit there on a weekday, but since I had date plans with my girlfriend in Seoul on Saturday I woke up early and made a detour to Yongsan in the morning before meeting up with her in the afternoon. I didn't dare drag her to yet another Gunpla exhibition. That would just be cruel.

Anyway, sure enough, there were Gunpla on display at Yongsan, and a good deal more than the few at Gangnam. Again the quality of the Gunpla didn't compare to anything I saw during the 2014 world tournament, but there were a few gems hidden here and there. However in all fairness, most of the contestants are middle- or elementary-school aged, so it would be wrong to judge them by world-class standards. Above all else, props to the young builders for making the effort and putting their work out in a public venue.

Now having seen the entries at Gangnam and Yongsan, that just leaves checking out the Coex Gundam Base. Hopefully the Seoul Gundam Bases will host another building contest this year, because I'm really kicking myself for not having entered this competition. In the meantime, I should start working on whatever Gunpla I'll want to submit...!




















































No comments:

Post a Comment